SC - alcohol revisited

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 9 08:15:26 PST 2001

- --- Ted Eisenstein <alban at delphi.com> wrote:

> Thermometers? for chickens? Whatever happened to the
> move-the-leg-and-if-it's
> -loose-then-it's-almost-done trick? Or the
> prick-the-breast-and-if-the-juices-run-clear-
> it's-done test?
>
> sheesh! All these new cooks running around, and
> no-one passes along the tricks
> of the trade!

Both of these are pretty good methods of determining
doneness in a chicken, but nothing beats a good old
thermometer if you have to make ABSOLUTELY sure that
your chicken is done.  ALso, I should like to point
out that, due to modern poultry diets these days, the
"pinkness" near the bones of the chicken never really
go away...even if they are well cooked.  I have had
numerous people tell me "this chicken is still pink
near the bones..." To which I have to reply
"yeah...and it would still be pink if I cooked it in
the core of a nuclear reactor..."

Balthazar of Blackmoor