SC - Theme Menus

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Feb 9 11:09:33 PST 2001

At 12:14 PM -0500 2/9/01, Jenne Heise wrote:
>  > One of the benefits of a period feast is that you learn something
>>  about the middle ages, and you learn more if it is a feast that could
>>  have been put on in period than if it is only a feast made up of
>>  dishes that could have been served in period.
>
>Which is, of course, not what he is asking, since he isn't asking whether
>he should choose dishes from period recipes or dishes not from period
>recipes, but whether all the dishes should be from the same time/place.

"A feast that could have been put on in period" has to consist of
dishes all of which were in use at the same time at the same place,
since a period feast happened at some particular time and place in
period; it wasn't smeared across three centuries and four countries.
"A feast made up of dishes that could have been served in period"
generally means a dish from period recipes, since that is usually the
only way we know a dish could have been served in period.

Hence I was making the same distinction he was, although in different
words. Neither of my alternatives was "a dish not from period
recipes."

>In some ways, you do learn more if you eat all dishes from the same
>time/place, especially if they are presented using some information about
>how they were to be served together, than if the cook dumps a whole bunch
>of dishes-from-period-recipes together on the table, with something from A
>Soup for the Quan cheek-by-jowl with something from Platina, with some
>comfits from Markham thrown in.

Precisely the point I made in the post you are responding to.

- --
David Friedman
Professor of Law
Santa Clara University