Middle Eastern Cooking (was Re: SC - Theme Menus)

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Feb 9 23:37:06 PST 2001

At 8:02 PM -0800 2/9/01, lilinah at earthlink.net wrote:
>Lord Cariadoc's two volume collection of recipes has a number of
>actual Near and Middle Eastern cookbooks and recipes. I consider
>this collection an essential for the historic cook's library. For
>the most part the books are reproductions of originals, so there are
>few worked out recipes. But they cover about 600 years of cooking
>and cover the Near and Middle East, Iceland, as well as most of
>Europe.

One minor correction. While one of the recipe collections is from an
Icelandic source, it is apparently one of several daughter
manuscripts of a lost original, probably from southern Europe. So
although we know those recipes were physically in Iceland at one
point, there is no reason to think that they represent period
Icelandic cooking. Unfortunately.
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/