SC - Haversacks and nefts (??)

Jessica Tiffin jessica at beattie.uct.ac.za
Thu Feb 15 00:12:53 PST 2001

greetings, the List!

I'm having a polite but extended argument with a gentle who submitted
an article on feast gear to the Shire newsletter.  He is insisting on
using terminology of which I have never heard, for which I cannot
find documentation, and which I rather suspect belongs to the 17th or
18th century.  Has anyone ever come across the following terms in any
_medieval_ food source?

"haversack" as a bag used to carry feast gear to feasts.  (The OED
references it as a bag used by soldiers to carry their lunch, 18th
century).

"neft" as a small wooden box containing cutlery.  I suspect he's
thinking of "nef", which apparently sometimes contained napkins or
cutlery as well as salt (according to Hammond's "Food and Feast in
Medieval Britain", at any rate).  But I thought that was
desperately ornate and sat on the table, rather than being a
receptacle for transporting things.

I am all too aware that my knowledge of food history is anything but
complete, so if anyone can find any documentation for the above
usages, I'd be very grateful.  If not, I'll feel a little more
justified in bouncing his article back at him on the grounds that
it's going to misinform the Shire about _medieval_ practices.

many thanks,
JdH

Lady Jehanne de Huguenin  *  Chronicler, Shire of Adamastor, Cape Town
(Jessica Tiffin, University of Cape Town)
Sable, three owls rising argent, each maintaining a willow slip vert.
http://users.iafrica.com/m/me/melisant