SC - Haversacks and nefts (??)

Lee-Gwen piglet006 at globalfreeway.com.au
Thu Feb 15 07:50:35 PST 2001

- ----- Original Message -----
From: Anne-Marie Rousseau

> and I doubt upperclass folks would have brought
> their own [cutlery] to a banquet (except maybe thier knife),

I wonder if that is true for all of "period"?  In Ivanhoe - written, I know,
outside of period - the Bishop (if memory serves me) takes his silver plate
with him when goes to dine with the Sheriff - or was that the other way
around?  It could just be that Scott used poetic license with this - the
stuff had to be in transit for Robin to steal it.  I suppose that to take
one's own would imply a lack of trust in one's host.  I wonder, though, if
travellers might not have carried their eating gear with them?

Gwynydd