SC - Day Boards

Decker, Margaret margaret at Health.State.OK.US
Fri Feb 16 09:00:42 PST 2001

Greetings:

My Canton is hosting a small event soon.  There is no feast, but we are
planning a dayboard.  My feast-o-crat gave me his proposed menu, consisting
of Beef Barley Stew, bread, cheese and honey butter.  My first thought
was... how boring!  I suggested he add some condiments and fruit, but he
didn't like that idea because he thought it was too OOP.

I have two questions:  1) Suggestions for a more interesting, yet easy to do

dayboard? and 2) How to tactfully tell the FOC his menu is too bland/common?

  I am usually very good with words, but this is sort of a case where if I
don't come right out and say, "it's boring" he may not get the hint.

Thanks!

Lady Gwendolen Lambert
To start with what is period about a day board? What is period about honey
butter? They might have been on the table but I have found no evidence of
the mixture in period. Lots of sauces for practically everything else. The
only fruit would be dried or maybe apples if there are any left at this time
of year. I don't think the Beef Barley Stew is bad at all. What condiments
do you have in mind? A polite request for a specific period item or two will
go much further and leave everyone happier than a blanket statement.
Margarite