SC - Unusual beverage

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Sun Feb 18 23:27:57 PST 2001

At 01:00 AM 2/19/01 -0600,Stefan li Rous said something like:
>Greetings,
>
>Last weekend when we were exploring an oriental food store, I found and
>bought a bag of what look like dried flowers.
>
>The name on the bag is "Flor de Jamaica" and the brand is "Lopez Bros.
>& co.".  They look like some sort of very dark red/purple flower petals,
>most about an inch long and a quarter wide, rather curled. There are
>some whitish or partial white petals mixed in.

Jamaica is a very refreshing cold drink. It is based on a very deep red
hibiscus blossom (which is obviously dried).

I've also seen directions call for a little fresh lime juice to be added.
It's good, VERY good.  I understand that the blossoms are used in many
places besides the Americas (an acquaintance of mine from Samoa said that
they cook with them there also).

Regards,
Maggie MacD.