SC - Sodde Egges

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Mon Feb 19 00:11:33 PST 2001

Going through my back digests for this list, I found this interesting
recipe.

One question though. When you say "quarter" the eggs, are we talking about
cutting the egg across lengthwise and then each half again lengthwise? Or
cutting in half lengthwise and then the two halves across widthwise? Or
cutting the egg into four slices?

I assume the first way, but I wanted to check.

Also, five minutes to boil the eggs? I thought ten minutes was closer to
what is needed for hardboiled eggs. Or are the yolks not supposed to be
firm?

Also, what is the original recipe and what manuscript(s) can it be found in?

Thanks,
  Stefan

> Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2000 19:51:30 -0400
> From: Elaine Koogler <ekoogler at chesapeake.net>
> Subject: Re: SC - period egg sizes
>
> Can't answer all of your questions, but I served a wonderful, VERY simple egg
> dish at my event this past weekend...Sodde Egges (Eggs in a Mustard Sauce).  And, as I know someone will ask, here is the recipe:
>
> 4 eggs
> 1 oz. Butter
> 1 tsp. prepared mustard
> 1 tsp. vinegar (I used white wine)
> pinch of salt
> pepper to taste
>
> Boil eggs for 5 minutes.  Meanwhile, lightly brown the butter in a saucepan and
> allow it to cool a little before quickly stirring in the remaining ingredients.
> Peel the eggs, quarter them and arrange them on a warm dish.  Reheat the sauce
> and pour it over the eggs immediately before serving.
>
> Kiri

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net