SC - Back from War!

Pat mordonna22 at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 19 18:37:51 PST 2001

Well, I'm back from Estrella.  Just got in about half an hour ago, so I'm tired
and dirty.  I enjoyed the war, as I always do, mostly because I attend with a
household of people I know and love.
The Cook's party was fun, even if it did consist of Anahita and me and two
others who are interested but not yet on the list.  Anahita's Middle Eastern
chicken dish was delicious.  My apple fritters were well received, as well, and
what few were leftover were quickly demolished by my House when I returned to
my encampment, and I had to make more the next day.  The recipe is one I have
posted here before. I found it in the Miscellany.  Only problem I had was that
the yeasty beast was not happy with the cold, and I had to improvise a way to
keep it happy.  Tin foil and duct tape and a candle - not pretty, but it
worked. I suspect that part of the reason for the poor turnout was that the
site autocrats put us in a site that was very poorly marked and difficult to
find.  The Dance Pavilion was actually up on what is the stage at the outdoor
concerts held there in the summer.  The Grand Pavilion was set up in a portion
of the spectators section at concerts.  To get to the Dance Pavilion, you had
to go around the Grand Pavilion, and climb about ninety-eleven steps.  I was
accessible from the North Road by a series of ramps, but again, it was hidden
behine the wet RV parking.
The weather played a huge role in this year's war.  Before the rumors get
started, let me announce the sad news that there were two, and only two,
weather related deaths at the event.  Two gentles who were camping with Ered
Sul died from asphyxiation caused by a propane heater in a tightly sealed
mundane tent.  This was their first large event, and their first time cold
weather camping.  Apparently they had imbibed a bit more than they were used
to, returned to their tent, turned on the heater, but passed out or went to
sleep without lighting it.
Apart from the deaths, the weather was a major factor the first few days.
Papa, were you there????  We had rain, and cold, and cold, and cold the first
day and night, and cold the next two days, then beautiful for the last few
days.  Today, however, was the only day that got downright hot.  I seem to have
spent an awful lot of the War trudging through mud and muck in the dark to the
porta-castles this year.  Needless to say, with all the rain we got the first
day, dust was not a problem for most of the War.

Mordonna (I'm gonna go wash a couple of inches if Estrella War mud off of me
and fall asleep now)

=====
Pat
Beautiful young people are accidents of  nature,
But beautiful old people are works of art.-
Eleanor Roosevelt