SC - Re: Feeding cows rose-petals

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Tue Feb 20 06:38:33 PST 2001

hey from Anne-Marie

"city Boy" Stefan :) sez:
At 12:47 AM 2/20/01 -0600, you wrote:
>Anne-Marie said:
>> yes, the flavors of what the critter eats will get passed through the milk.
>> It was kind of a pain when the goats got into the scrub brush creosote.
>> after that, the milk was only fit for pigs and chickens.
>
>For how long? I would think that the compounds from the creosote bush would
>pass through and the milk would be back to normal a short time later. Are
>you saying that after a brief exposure the milk never tasted good again?
>Or did the goats continue to eat the cresote bush? Or after a taste you
>were never willing to taste the goats milk after that to find out whether
>it still tasted bad?
>
>Yes, I'm definitely a city boy.

if I remember correctly, it was only a couple days. We really tried to keep
the goats out of the creosote if we could since they were our sole milk
supply (and so our sole rice pudding, ice cream and custard supply :))

I dont know from personal experience that rosepetals would flavor the milk
enough to be detectable, however. I'm thinking that alkaloides like
creosote might carry over a lot more than a simple flavor like rose....

- --AM
PS, did you know that theres a hot new technology for making goats produce
human proteins like insulin and various protein based drugs in their milk?
you dont have to kill the animal, and the milk is still usable as animal
feed, etc after you extract the protein. Neat, eh? :) (if Stefan is a city
boy, I'm a science geek :))