SC - A Soup for the Qan

lilinah at earthlink.net lilinah at earthlink.net
Tue Feb 20 10:33:35 PST 2001

Khadijah wrote:
>     I've heard this resource mentioned frequently, but I can't ever find a
>synopsis of what it actually refers to, or the information needed to get it
>from a library.
>
>     Could someone please let me know what time period/culture/region this
>covers and perhaps the author's name, or ISBN number so I can get ahold of a
>copy?

from the amazon.com website:

A Soup for the Qan (The Sir Henry Wellcome Series)
by Paul D. Buell, Eugene N. Anderson
Price: $225.00, Hardcover, 700 pages
Kegan Paul International
May 15, 2000
ISBN: 0710305834

>From Book News, Inc.®, Portland, OR
In 1330, the Mongol Emperor of China-- a descendant of Qubilai Qan
(Khubla Khan)--was presented with a dietary manual, the Yin-shan
Cheng-yao of `Proper and Essential Things for the Emperor's Food and
Drink' written by the imperial dietary physician. Arguing that the
work is a valuable window into the foodways of China (especially its
medicinal aspects), the authors present the full English translation
of the 1456 edition, along with the facsimile Chinese. Also included
is a 158-page explanation of historical, cultural, and
anthropological aspects of the text, especially related to the
influence of other cultures and the Chinese view of the medicinal
value of food. Distributed by Columbia U. Press.

Book Description
This is a complete translation of the medieval Chinese dietary
Yin-Shan cheng-yao (1330) with full notes and supporting text, along
with a monograph-sized introduction. The Chinese original is the
first dietary manual of its kind in Chinese history, and is of
particular interest on account of substantial Mongolian, Turkic, and
general Islamic influences. The translation makes an important work
for the Chinese herbal tradition generally available makes an
important work of the Chinese herbal tradition generally available,
placed in its historical and cultural context, and also makes a
significant contribution to the study of traditional East Asian
foodways in a broader context. The translation is the first of its
kind, and will substantially alter previously held views on Chinese
interactions with non-Chinese cultures, including China's conquerors
and their Turkic allies.

About the Author
Paul D. Buell, translator, writer, indexer and programmer, holds a
Ph.D. from the University of Washington. Eugene N. Anderson is
professor of anthropology at the University of California at
Riverside. Charles Perry is a food critic for the Los Angeles Times
and holds his Ph.D. in Arabic from the University of California at
Berkeley.

- ----- end quote -----

Anahita
who would also like this book,