SC - Hempseed

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Wed Feb 21 08:01:25 PST 2001

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 00:27:47 -0800 lilinah at earthlink.net writes:
> So, those of you who do cook with hemp seed, where do you get them?
> (if you grow them yourselves, perhaps you shouldn't answer :-)
>
> Anahita

	I work in a large Natural Foods store, and I have a couple of products
that we sell here.  One is a sample bag of Shelled Hempseed from Nutiva -
available in 12 oz. cans.  www.nutiva.com, or 707-823-2800.
	The other product is a 12 oz. can called "All Natural, The Original
'HempNut' Hulled Hempseed"  by The Hemp Corporation.  Here is all the
copy from the can.
	"Enjoy HempNut right from the can - thousands of uses.  High in EFA's
and Protein. HempNut is hempseed with the shell removed using a special
machine.  HempNut is very nutritious, high in essential fatty acids
(EFA's) and high-quality albumin protein.  We think it's the greatest
thing to ever happen to hemp!  HempNut tastes like sunflower seed.  Use
it like sesame seed, as a topping on foods, or added to any recipe.  Also
try pan roasting with spices.  Since it is 36% EFAs keep from heat above
350 degreesF.  HempNut is free of drugs, and will not cause a positive
drug test.  It has not been heated but will not grow (because of
de-hulling), and it is legal everywhere.  For more info isit us at
www.thehempcorp.com or send us an email to <hempnutinfo at thehempcorp.com>.

	Member of the Hemp Food Association (www.hempfood.com).  For info email
<moreinfo at hempfood.com>
	Ingredients: 100% hulled hempseed.
	The photo is larger and not exactly what's in the can, but is pretty
close.  There are always some seed shells and even the occasional whole
seed in here.  They are fine to eat, providing dietary fiber.  Watch for
the rare stone.  Use within 6 months.  Best if kept cold and sealed.
	Nutrition Facts
	Serving size - 1/2 oz. (14g)
	Servings per container 24
	Calories per serving 80	Fat cal  60
	Total fat 7g
	Sat. fat 0.5g
	Cholesterol 0
	Sodium 0
	Total carb 2g
	Dietary fiber 1g
	Sugars 0
	Protein 9g

	80% of the Total Fat is Essential Fatty Acids: Linolenic acid (Omega 3)
= 1.3g per 1/2oz.   Linolei acid (Omega 6) = 3.9g per 1/2 oz.

	Recommended use: Eat at least 2 oz. of HempNut daily.  Product of
Germany, packed in the USA.  HempNut is a trademark of and is packed
exclusively for: The Hemp Corporation, 616 Davis Street, P.O. Box 1368,
Santa Rosa, CA 95402-1368
Phone (707) 527-8113.

	An exotic, delicious experience in nutrition that could change the way
you eat!"

	So, there you go, plenty of (legal) information to get you started!
	Christianna