SC - Great Celebration in Atlantia

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Feb 22 09:32:24 PST 2001

>Not to leave out another of our correspondents, Lady Olwen and her
>Bright Hills Cooks Guild will be preparing the food for the Queen's Tea,
>to be held on Saturday morning.  That should be quite an event in
>itself...I've been around for one of their setups, and it is not only
>delicious food, but beautiful as well.

>Kiri

It isn't, of course, Kiri's fault (nor, probably, Olwen's), but this
pushes one of my buttons. "Tea" as a drink is either very late period
or out of period for western Europe. "Tea" as the name of a social
occasion is more than a century out of period; as best I recall the
term first appears in the 18th century. It is entirely appropriate
for regency recreation, and wildly inappropriate for the SCA.
- --
David/Cariadoc
http://www.daviddfriedman.com/