SC - Sawgeat

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Thu Feb 22 15:56:48 PST 2001

- --============_-1229215644==_ma============

A while back, Stefan li Rous wrote:

>  > Could you please post the sawgeat recipe? This sounds good. I already
>>  know I like migas, which are similar but include some other stuff.

and Adamantius replied:

>From The Forme of Cury...
>
>169. SAWGEAT. Take sawge; grynde it and temper it vp with ayren. Take a
>sausege & kerf hym to gobetes, and cast it in a possynet, and do
>(th)erwi(th) grece and frye it. Whan it is fryed ynow(gh), cast (th)erto
>sawge with ayren; make it not to harde. Cast (th)erto powdour douce &
>messe it forth. If it be in ymbre day, take sauge, buttur, & ayren, and
>lat it stonde wel by (th)e sauge, & serue it forth.

and here is how we do it:

3 t fresh sage
4 eggs
1/2 lb mild pork sausage
1 1/2 T butter ("grease": could also use lard)
1/2 t powder douce

Chop sage and grind it. Mix egg and sage. Cut up sausage and cook it
medium slow in the butter until done. Add the egg mixture and stir it
slightly. Then let it set up until it is reasonably solid, flip it in
sections, turn off the heat. Sprinkle on the poudre douce (which was
mixed up as 4 sugar: 2 cinnamon: 1 ginger). We have also tried it
using 2 t sage, 1T butter; also good, especially for those not very
fond of sage (who shouldn't be eating this dish anyway).

Elizabeth/Betty Cook
- --============_-1229215644==_ma============

recipe? This sounds good. I already<br>
> know I like migas, which are similar but include some other
stuff.</blockquote>
169. SAWGEAT. Take sawge; grynde it and temper it vp with ayren. Take
a<br>
sausege & kerf hym to gobetes, and cast it in a possynet, and
do<br>
(th)erwi(th) grece and frye it. Whan it is fryed ynow(gh), cast
(th)erto<br>
sawge with ayren; make it not to harde. Cast (th)erto powdour douce
&<br>
messe it forth. If it be in ymbre day, take sauge, buttur, &
ayren, and</blockquote>
serue it forth.</blockquote>
</x-tab></font></div>
1/2 lb mild pork sausage</font></div>
also use lard)</font></div>
Chop sage and grind it. Mix egg and sage. Cut up sausage and cook it
medium slow in the butter until done. Add the egg mixture and stir it
slightly. Then let it set up until it is reasonably solid, flip it in
sections, turn off the heat. Sprinkle on the poudre douce (which was
mixed up as 4 sugar: 2 cinnamon: 1 ginger). We have also tried it
using 2 t sage, 1T butter; also good, especially for those not very
fond of sage (who shouldn't be eating this dish
anyway).</font></div>