SC - Egg Yolks

Maggie MacDonald maggie5 at home.com
Fri Feb 23 06:34:39 PST 2001

At 08:01 AM 2/23/01 -0500,Adamantius said something like:

>Has anybody else experienced this thickening of yolks in the freezer?
>
>Adamantius
>--

OOoohhhh yeahhhhh, have I ever. During my dad's famous self-sufficiency
streak we were often collecting up to a dozen eggs a day. He REFUSED to let
anything go to waste, so as the kids saddled with the task of dealing with
this henfruit we found many creative ways of dealing with them. Freezing
never went over really well. The egg yolks on our 'freerange' chickens were
already thicker than average. Freezing them, then thawing, resulted in a
raw egg yolk with properties rather like a rubber ball. If you somewhat
scrambled the eggs first you got a much better product after thawing, or
even just mixing the yolks together first (breaking that outer membrane
around the yolk).

Ya know, trying to fry an accidentally mostly frozen egg can result in lots
of mindless amusement too.

Regards,
Maggie MacD.