SC - non-member submission - Re: Easy (Modern) Pumpkin Pie Filling

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 23 09:22:03 PST 2001

If you can just get a cup of cooked, mashed pumpkin, you can make a pumpkin
pie. (I recommend baking it "in the half shell" so to speak, with the seeds
scooped out beforehand, at a med-low heat until the meat is soft - time
varies depending on the size and thickness of the pumpkin.  Anywhere from
1-4 hours.  Then use a spoon, etc. to scrape off the pumpkin meat from the
shell, throw away the shell.  Puree the pumpkin meat in a blender or food
processor, or mash it by hand if you have no other choice - can be somewhat
stringy that way though.)  This is my family's favorite recipe.  Been using
it for 4 generations.

Easy Pumpkin Pie
- ---------------------------
1 c. mashed pumpkin
1 14 oz. can "Eagle Brand" Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk!)
2 eggs
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. allspice (or cloves and nutmeg)
1/2 tsp. ginger

Mix all together in a large bowl.  Pour into an UNbaked deep-dish pastry
crust.  Bake at 350 for about 45 minutes, until filling swells, and light
golden patches apear on the surface.  Should feel slightly spongey (not
mushy) to the touch.  Allow to cool before serving.  Best with whipped
cream!

NOTE: If you use a standard 15 oz. can of mashed pumpkin, like LIBBEY'S
Pumpkin Pie Filling, you'll get enough filling for two regular 9 inch pies.

           http://welcome.to/tinyzoo
             Toddler Reading page
                Gourmet treats,
              Private Chat Room