SC - Great Celebration in Atlantia

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Feb 23 10:29:07 PST 2001

>  I'm sure "brunch" is not a period word, but oh well, how can you
>argue with the Queen?
>Olwen

Politely.

If nobody in a kingdom is willing to tell royalty when they are
wrong, the kingdom is in serious trouble.

Oddly enough, "brunch" bothers me less than "tea," although I would
prefer to avoid both.

We can't, in practice, entirely keep the 20th century out of our SCA
activities, given that it is all around us--although we can try to
avoid it when possible. So when someone at an event uses a 20th
century term, the implication is that he is, in that respect,
speaking as a 20th century person rather than a medieval person. When
we have an activity titled a "tea," the implication is that Jane
Austen is medieval.
- --
David Friedman
Professor of Law