SC - Progress report on Lebkuchen

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 23 14:53:13 PST 2001

>The modern Lebkuchen I've come across are all fairly soft. Bear
>
> > The modern recipes I have seen for Lebkuchen all refer to a
> > spicy hard
> > cookie.  > Kateryn

Not having tried making medieval or modern, I'll interject that when reading
the recipes, I expect the sort of sugary and hard texture that softens as it
absorbs humidity in storage.   So, in dealing with what stage of sugar for
the medieval, I don't think I'd take it as high as hard crack.  At the
soft-ball stage the sugar will be re-crystallizing as it cools, making a
fairly hard cookie.  But, the cookie will soften in storage and easily break
down in liquid like the sauce or fig pudding recipes.  If you take it to
hard-crack, won't the result be like hard candy, and hard to integrate into
the other recipe?

This two-cents might be useless, but there you are.

Bonne