SC - Day Boards/rosebutter

margali margali at 99main.com
Sat Feb 24 11:40:38 PST 2001

Actually, rosewater is clear ;-)

In the process of washing the nuggets in rosewater and then finishing
the butter you would waste more of the rose 'essence' than the way I did
it, as the essential oil of rose is picked up by the butterfat that you
are separating out of the cream to be butter. The liquid part of the
rosewater leaves with the buttermilk, with the stronger smell and taste
of rose in the butter than in the buttermilk. If you were to mix the
rosewater with the butter you would get soggy butter and the rosewater
would tend to bead up on the surface of the butter. When you are making
butter, you rather vigorously smash the butter nuggets together
repeatedly during the working to get the excess liquid to come out of
the fat, so no matter which way you look at it you would get rose
drippings.

I would imagine it says to  wash the butter nuggets in rose water so
that they could make a big batch of butter and divide the nuggets to bee
flavored or handled in different manners [like some with rosewater, some
with herbs and some with honey] as it seems to be more of a festive or
upper-class butter treatment. I would like to see what would happen if I
were to steep the actual rose petals in the cream sometime.

- --

MarilynTraber at FictionForest.com
HTTP://WWW.FictionForest.com