SC - Lebkuchen

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Mon Feb 26 09:18:24 PST 2001

    I always thought it came from 'Lieb', or love. Remember, you have
Hochdeutsch and platdeutsch, and if the recipe originated in an area that
flattens their vowels (like Bayern or Swabia), the phonetic nature of the
written language at the time would have reflected this. Lebkuchen were
Lovecookies . . . Ich liebe dieser Lebkuchen, nicht wahr?

    Sieggy