SC - Soup figuring?

Michael Gunter countgunthar at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 26 09:46:27 PST 2001

>I guess we go about this quite differently.  When I make soup, I usually do
>not
>roast the chickens, but boil them to create both the stock and the cooked
>chicken.

Either way is acceptable, depending on the type of stock you
want. Roasting the chicken first creates a darker, richer
stock which is great for some dishes but is too strong for others.
Chicken pies, hearty chicken stews, things with full-flavor are
great for a roasted chicken stock. But if you want something lighter
or more delicate then the boiled chicken stock is needed. But you
can never really go wrong with the boiled stock.

>Kiri

Gunthar