SC - Jumbles

Tue Feb 27 12:13:21 PST 2001

here yah go.  Bear

Jumbals

To make finer Jumbals    To make Jumbals more fine and curious than the
former, and neerer to the
taste of the Macaroon, take a pound of sugar, beat it fine.  Then take as
much fine wheat flowre, and
mixe them together.  Then take two whites and one yolk of an Egge, half a
quarter pound of
blanched Almonds:  then beat them very fine altogether, with half a dish of
sweet butter and a
spoonfull of Rose water, and so work it with a little Cream till it come to
a very stiff paste.  Then roul
them forth as you please:  and hereto you shall also, if you please, add a
few dryed Anniseeds
finely rubbed, and strew then into the paste, and also Coriander seeds.

				Gervase Markham
				The English Hous-wife, 1615

1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
2 egg whites
1 egg yolk
1/2 cup butter
2 oz. coarsely ground blanched almonds
1/3 cup cream
1 teaspoon rosewater
1 teaspoon ground anise or coriander seed (optional)

Whip 1/2 cup sugar with egg whites to form a heavy liquid.
Sift remaining flour and sugar together.  Cut the butter in until the
mixture crumbs.
Stir egg yolk, rosewater, and cream into the crumbs.
Stir in the egg whites and sugar and the ground almonds.
Stir in the ground anise or coriander seed if desired.
Form loops, fancy knot patterns, or plain round cookies on a baking sheet
covered with baker's
parchment.
Bake at 400 degress F. for 12 minutes or until the edges turn brown.
Remove from the oven and cool on a rack.

Notes:  Rather than using ground anise or coriander seed, anise or coriander
seeds can be
sprinkled on the cookies before baking.

Jumbals are not as sweet as modern cookies and the spices rather than the
sugar provide most of
the flavor.