SC - Questions on whey

Chris Stanifer jugglethis at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 28 12:08:51 PST 2001

- --- rcmann4 at earthlink.net wrote:
> Just now, I
> took several cups of freshly-dripped whey and put it
> in a jar in the
> fridge.  When I return from work tonight, can the
> remaining whey
> that has accumulated in the bowl be safely gathered
> and used?
> How long will it keep refrigerated?  Can it be
> frozen?

It's a pretty safe bet that the whey in the bowl when
you get home should still be safe.  The protein level
in it will be fairly low, so most organisms will more
likely go after the higher protein cheese the whey
came from...

You may find that the whey (depending on how "rich" it
is) has soured slightly if your home is kept warm, but
if you are using it for bread baking purposes, then
that may be a desirable quality.

Balthazar of Blackmoor
(by the whey, you can always bring it to a boil first
if it makes you feel safer...)