SC - redacting Lebkuchen

Ted Eisenstein alban at delphi.com
Fri Feb 2 12:13:53 PST 2001

>I'm trying to redact the following recipe, but I've run into a few little problems.
>I need to know if 16th century german measurements are different from the american
>ones.  Are the ounce measurements roughly equivelent?  Did they use different quart
>measurements for wet and dry goods?  IE: the honey v/s the flour?  What about the
>pounds?  Where do I even begin looking for this type of info?

I can't vouch for their accuracy, since I've never used them, but there were two
Complete Anacrhonists that came out a few years ago (92 and 93? 93 and 94?
Somewhere in the mid 90's), that were basically measurement equivalents -
the author matched French ells with English ells with Flemish ells; gallons with
hogsheads with tuns; and the like. The titles contained the word "Metrology" -
not "meteorology" as in weather forecasting, but "metrology" as in measuring.

Alban