SC - alcohol revisited

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Fri Feb 2 14:53:03 PST 2001

> adults, and have probably lived their entire lives (or
> a good portion of them) WITH these allergies.  They
> obviously haven't died yet, in spite of the fact that
> no restaurant, fast food joint, or school cafeteria
> posts ingredient lists on the walls or placemats or
> anywhere else...

One assumes that they _ask_ the waiter in a restaurant.
All of _my_ friends with allergies do so. And still they run into problems
if their requests get muddled (like, 'no, there's no fish in this eggroll'
because the waiter thinks shrimp isn't a fish)

And as for fast food joints-- they have little pamphlets with the
information in them... plus, let's be honest, would you eat anything you
weren't completely familar with in a school cafeteria or fast food joint?
If all we served was hamburgers, fries, peanut butter and jelly
sandwiches, chicken noodles soup, etc-- we probably wouldn't have a
problem very often, because people _know_ what is them, or have found out
from painful experience in the past.

But we don't. We serve different stuff. We serve stuff made in ways people
don't expect. Sometimes we even do the old favorites differently.
So, we can either encourage every single person to shuffle into the
kitchen and list their allergies to us to find out what they can and can't
eat-- or we post the list of ingredients, and teach people to use those
lists as soon as they join the society.

I know it sounds like going to a lot of trouble for people, but you really
hope that _your_ event is not the one where the chirugeons have to call
911. Believe me, even if it's not your fault at all, it's not a pleasant
experience.
Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"Our kingdom is a garden and such gardens are not made/By singing "Oh how
beautiful!" and sitting in the shade..." --Kipling, "Glory of the Garden"