SC - New book available April 2001

Gerekr at aol.com Gerekr at aol.com
Sat Feb 3 17:27:39 PST 2001

>Coming soon to a book vendor near you...
>
>Daniel Diehl and Mark Donnelly.
>Medieval Celebrations : How to Plan for Holidays, Weddings, and
>Reenactments With Recipes, Customs, Costumes, Decorations, Songs,
>Dances and Games.
>Stackpole Books. April 2001.
>ISBN: 0811728668.
>The author also wrote these SCA perennials:
>1. Constructing Medieval Furniture : Plans and Instructions With
>Historical Notes, 1997.
>2. Medieval Furniture: Plans and Instructions for Historical
>Reproductions, 1999.
>3. Siege : Castles at War, 1999.
>===========================
IMNSHO... amazing!  HOW have these fellas gotten 3, now 4, of their
"productions" commercially published?

We bought the first furniture book with high expectations, and were
seriously let down by the contents.  Very briefly (it's so annoying, we
try not to think about it, the flubbed opportunity!), "the woodworkers
all scream about the woodworking, the metalworkers all scream about the
metalworking".  A very flexible definition of "period".  Failure to note
well-known out-of-period repairs and adaptations to his models (just
presents the whole thing as period and original).  Etc.  I've seen
_Siege_ at work (public library) -- it has really pretty pictures, but
what's in them is pretty iffy.

So, at the least, be prepared with MANY grains of salt!

Chimene the party-poop