SC - OT: Web copyright -- can Earthlink use my material?

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Sat Feb 3 18:26:36 PST 2001

We had to change ISPs recently, and on a friend's recommendation, chose
Earthlink.  So far, I have no complaints.

As you gentles know, I am planning to web my translation when the
polishing is done.  I wanted to put it on my own website, having had a bad
experience with a freebie Yahoo/Geocities account.  I just took a look at
the Earthlink web-construction page.  The legal fine print includes this
paragraph:

"Your posting of material on the Web site or providing material to
EarthLink to use on the Web site will be deemed to be a grant by you to
EarthLink of a license to the material to include the material on the Web
site and to reproduce, publish, distribute, perform, display, and transmit
the material and to prepare derivative works as may be reasonably
necessary to do so, and you waive all rights of attribution and integrity
with respect to the material ."
Does this mean that they could, say, publish a recipe booklet and leave
my name off it?  Or that they could legally object to my publishing it
elsewhere?
I knew a lot of the free website communities were doing this kind of
thing.   I assumed that a website that came with a paid Internet account
would be different, and that the material on it would remain under my
control and ownership.

Should I be concerned?

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)