SC - peaches

Christine A Seelye-King mermayde at juno.com
Mon Feb 5 08:02:29 PST 2001

> As the peach pottage sounds like an excellent accompaniment to meat,
>  i wonder if it could be made "out of season" with preserved peaches?
>
> Thank you,
> Anahita al-shazhiyya

You know, I was thinking that we rarely have sour peaches (in the last
line where it cautions that the quinces should be strained with the
almonds, and not be sour, nor the peaches...) and that I would not use as
much sugar as it seems the recipe calls for.  While it does not mention
amounts, it does have it cooked at the beginning, in larger quantity than
the ginger, and then sprinkled again on it after the fact.  I wonder if
this is to prevent a sour dish from the peaches, or a humoral thing to
combat the cold and moist nature of the fruit?  Let's see, the roast
would be treated as a hot and dry, so I would think the nature of the
peaches would be the compliment to that?  But, it does seem to be
something one could do with canned peaches in syrup.  At my very first
event in 1979, a fellow I know made a campfire stew with either pork
chops or chicken quarters, and peaches.  It was delicious, and now I find
it was close to approximating a period recipe!
Christianna