OT - Re: SC - spelling please

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Feb 5 09:26:41 PST 2001

Chris Stanifer wrote:

> --- Philip & Susan Troy <troy at asan.com> wrote:
> > Chris Stanifer wrote:
> > >
> > > Actually, the English bastardization of the word
> > > should have no bearing... it is a French word, for
> > > which there is no plural difference.
>
> > This is a valid point. On the other hand, France has
> > adopted and shown
> > no particular respect for mache-potettose, rostbiff
> > and plompoudin, so
> > while I agree with your basic point, perhaps we
> > could lose the
> > undeserved inferiority complex.
>
> I prefer to think of it as a superiority complex...
> Other countries have butchered our Language, so why
> must we follow suit?

Okay, fair enough, you got me. Yesterday I think I commented (probably
somewhat obscurely) on the indignation of some French-speakers at any
suggestion they should pollute "our Internet" with English names for
things like e-mail.

Adamantius, recent survivor of finally hearing a recording of Rezso
Seress's allegedly accursed song, "Gloomy Sunday"...
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com