SC - Re: Barn Olafr

Jim Revells sudnserv5 at netway.com
Tue Feb 6 08:25:59 PST 2001

 From: Gerekr at aol.com
> Subject: SC - Re:  Barn Olafr

    Thankyou for an great explnation!  I would be very interested in the
Book Gerek is producing.  Would he & you object to me cross posting this to
the  norsefolk at yahoogroups.com  List?  If he is not on it may I request that
he join it?  The more knowledgeable people who join the better the exchange
of information will be.

> To quote from the footnotes of Gerek's (still in preparation) book _Old
> Norse Terms for Anachronists_:  "titles are a particular problem when
> translating between Society terms which do not conform to any one
> country's usage, and Scandinavian terms which represent the systems of

> By the way, the Norwegian barons of 1277 were addressed as "Herra" lord,
> the same as knights.  In other words, you would be Herra  barun (a=a
acute, O=O acute, dh=edh, u=u accute).

    My persona is that of a metalsmith from the western Norwegian coast
serving as a guard/trader in Birka during the 831 time frame, so an earlyer
title would be more aproprate for me.

> For food content... Gerek has all sorts of Norse food terms collected
> too!  Foodstuffs, techniques, equipment, etc.
> Chimene (& Gerek)

    This is another area I would love to know more of!  Also I still am
wondering what was the method of serving White Pork?

Hej!
Hersir Olafr a  Trollheimsfir(dh)i