SC - alcohol revisited

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Tue Feb 6 11:34:12 PST 2001

Jenne Heise wrote:

> And of course there are the sterling moments when you order the vegetarian
> egg roll and it comes out with shrimp in it. *sigh*  (I'm not allergic to
> seafood. I'm allergic to ordering one thing and getting another, though!)

FWIW, some sects of Buddhism don't regard shellfish as a break with
their definition of vegetarianism. Buddhists who would not dream of
eating meat can routinely add dried oysters or scallops, sea cucumber,
shrimp and a variety of other seafoods (BTW, isn't seaweed a seafood
too?) to dishes they still consider vegetarian. Since it's not a
deliberate attempt to deceive or poison anybody, it's just something you
need to understand in dealing with the situation. We're dealing not only
with vague terms but with vague terms in different languages and
different cultures.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy