SC - Asparagus smell

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Feb 7 14:13:28 PST 2001

"Craig Jones." wrote:

> >10 Foods Claimed To Be Aphrodesiacs
> >
> >1. Asparagus.
> >       Asparagus contains a diuretic that increases the amount of urine
> >excreted and excites the urinary passages. The vegetable is rich in
> >potassium, phosphorus, and calcium - all necessary for maintenance of a
> >high energy level.  However, it also contains aspartic acid, which
> >neutralizes excess amounts of ammonia in one's body and may cause apathy
> >and sexual disinterest.
>
> Excites the Urinary passages???  So what causes the damn awful smell to my
> urine whenever I eat fresh asparagus?
>
> Drakey.

I'm sure I have this information somewhere, but the bottom line is that
everybody's urine has this chemical in it after eating asparagus, but
not everyone has the gene that enables them to smell it. You, like me,
are what Harold McGee has referred to, in the section of "On Food and
Cooking" that deals with this, a stinker. ;  )

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com