SC - Re: sca-cooks V1 #2962

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Wed Feb 7 14:27:07 PST 2001

Mordonna22 at aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 2/7/2001 2:10:13 PM US Mountain Standard Time,
> owner-sca-cooks at ansteorra.org writes:
>
> <<
>  Just casually looking at the chemical formulas without a clear idea of the
>  process, it looks like mustard gas is a cocktail of diphosgene and sulfuric
>  acid. >>
> There is a polemic making the rounds on the internet about how evil Canola
> Oil is because it is made with genetically altered Rape.  They claim that
> Rape was the original basis for Mustard Gas, and that it causes all sorts of
> respiratory problems, and besides it is genetically altered and that is a Bad
> Thing (tm). And anything called Rape has to be bad.
>  At first I tried talking reason and logic to the relative who sent it to me,
> then I gave up.  If she wants to try avoiding Canola Oil on this basis, it
> should keep her too busy to bother me with such garbage.

It's my understanding that rapeseed oil has been used for centuries, and
that calling it canola oil is largely the result of marketing resistance
to a food product thought by some to be named after an act of violence.
Whether or not it is genetically altered rape I don't know, but it
certainly doesn't need to be. Canola oil is an older tradition than corn
oil is, anyway, a fact I'm glad of since I hate corn oil.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy

troy at asan.com