SC - Asparagus smell

Tara Sersen tsersen at nni.com
Thu Feb 8 10:40:16 PST 2001

>This also explains why some folks are more of
>fended by the smell of someone who has had a heavy garlicky dinner, while others
don't seem to notice

Interesting... I never knew that garlic would also produce a urine odor.  I've
smelled it on my skin a day after eating a kiiller garlic meal, but never in
urine.  I seem to recall hearing that broccoli did the same.  Now, I know the
asparagus odor very well (I eat asparagus like it's going out of style.)  But,
I also eat loads of broccoli and garlic.  I wonder if the genes that either
create the odor or permit you to smell it are different for different substances?
 That seems unneccisarily specialized, but ya never know!

- -Magdalena vander Brugghe