SC - Asparagus smell

Anne-Marie Rousseau acrouss at gte.net
Thu Feb 8 22:44:56 PST 2001

Jadwiga sensibly mentions:

At 04:23 PM 2/8/01 -0500, you wrote:
>> Does this also apply to perfume?  Some folks put sooo much on it makes
your
>> eyes water, but they don't seem to smell it.  I thought that if they would
>> simply rotate application of perfume to differnt locations of the body or
>> clothing that the wearer could smell it and so use a more moderate amount.
>> Olwen
>
>Actually, it may have to do with the keenness of their sense of smell,
>combined with 'olfactory fatigue'-- in other words, after they've been
>smelling it for a while, they won't smell it hardly at all.

such is my experience...there will be odors that would floor a new guy but
I'm totally used to them, being surrounded by them.

and bringing this back to cooking...this can be a real problem in the
kitchen. You keep tasting and tasting and tasting the soup and finally you
cant taste it anymore. Be sure to have a "fresh palate" come and try it for
final salting, seasoning, etc.

- --AM, who has a real sharp sense of smell for burnt things but not for
others....