SC - Query to the list - "Good Huswifes' Handmaide for the kitchen"

rcmann4 at earthlink.net rcmann4 at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 9 04:58:32 PST 2001

And it came to pass on 9 Feb 01, , that Susan Laing wrote:

> - I'd like to enquire from them where the original manuscript is from
> (Editor mentions that the original is in Gothic script and that it was
> imprinted at London for Richard Fish) and I can find no other date or
> bibliographic details for original

"Good Huswifes' Handmaid for Cookerie" appears in the bibilography to "To
the Queen's Taste" by Lorna Sass.  She lists it with a date of 1588, but
gives no other information.

I did a web search (using Google, my favorite search engine) and came
across the following listing for Stuart Peachey.  It was on a page of
historical re-enactment merchants.

Historical Management Associates Ltd 17c
equipment,books,furs,feasts, consultancy,lectures
Stuart Peachey, 117 Farleigh Road, Backwell. Bristol BS48 3PG
01275-463041

And on another page I found:
"Syke's Sutlering is very pleased to announce that it has been appointed
sole agent for Stuart Press books in America - a line of very specialized
English Civil War studies in a format not unlike those by Partizan Press.
This line is the brainchild of Stuart Peachy, who, in past years, had
written a number of titles in Partisan's line."

If the other address proves not to be current, you could probably
contact Syke's Sutlery and ask them for contact information.
http://sykesutler.home.att.net/index.htm

Lady Brighid ni Chiarain
Settmour Swamp, East (NJ)
mka Robin Carroll-Mann