SC - Asparagus smell

Poong sfpoong at earthlink.net
Sun Feb 11 09:55:57 PST 2001

I think smell is even more genetically variant than perception of color but in both there are some things that certain individuals cannot perceive or they perceive very differently. Some people actually perceive skunks as smelling good. A friend of mine argues that the taste of cilantro is a
genetic difference. The soft, mellow delicious herb I taste cannot be the same as the old, smelly socks she tastes.

My husband and I are opposites on the asparagus scale. After eating a lot, his pee stinks and he can smell it, while my pee does not sink (he cannot smell it) and I cannot smell either pee. I thought there was some justice there. If you are going to do something stinky, you should be the one to
smell it!

Claire Galibois wrote:

> Garlic certainly is potent - just try rubbing raw garlic on your foot.  Or any other part of your body.  Yes, someone did this and wrote a book (or an article) about it. :)  Anyway, do this and you'll end up with garlic breath within an hour, without having had the pleasure of eating it. :(

This is actually because garlic stinks not because it is in your mouth or stomach but because it is in your blood stream. Unless you change the chemical in your blood, you will smell like garlic.

Huette von Ahrens wrote:

> I thought that it was the Koreans that the Japanese
> disliked because of garlic.  I have read that they
> called Korea "the land of the garlic eaters".

The Japanese were all around horrible to the Koreans. They even made them change the spelling of Corea to a K so they would come after Japan in the roll call of nations.

I think one of the most interesting Asian/Caucasian body odor differences is arm pits. Chinese have no "arm pit smell" and never use deodorant. The glands that caucasians have in arm pits are not there in Chinese (probably Koreans and Japanese as well).

Beatrice