SC - Period finger foods

Stefan li Rous stefan at texas.net
Tue Feb 13 21:37:15 PST 2001

Alvira said:
> Well, I know that there will be a cooler of roasts, sliced and rolled.

How do these become finger foods? Do you slice the rolled roast in slices
similar to a jelly or cinnamon roll?

> I cooked them with a marinade of 1 part vinegar to two parts cherry juice.

Cherry?!! juice? Seems awlfully fruity. Although maybe I'm thinking of the
juice in the cans of cherry pie filling. I've only occasionally had fresh
cherries.

> The
> sauce will be available for dipping.  It is my non alcoholic adaptation of
> Swallenberg sauce <sp>.

So what is "Swallenberg" sauce? I don't think I've heard of it. Is this
period? I'd assume not, since you imply the the 'real' thing is alcoholic.
And I'm under the impression that most (all?) alcoholic sauces are post
period. I guess I'm thinking of sauces using hard liquor. Wine and beer
and I guess cider were used in period as sauces and they would have had
some alcohol. Anyone know of any period sauces using brandy or other
distilled liquor?

> Syr Andy left with it yesterday.  So you all enjoy the food and hoist one for
> me and Duncan 11 of 9.  Make the toast to the future of Calontir.  The
> grandson is due any day now.  Nice of the children to have their children at
> easy to remember times! <g> Ariana was born during Pennsic and it looks as if
> Trevor will be an Estrella baby!

I assume you are saying at the same time as Pennsic and not AT Pennsic. I
know some folks have talked about doing this, but I don't think there
have been any actual births at Pennsic. There are also the births that
occur nine months after Pennsic or Estrella. :-)

- --
Mark S. Harris             Austin, Texas         stefan at texas.net