SC - Gastronomica: The Journal of Food and Culture

Bonne of Traquair oftraquair at hotmail.com
Wed Feb 14 14:02:17 PST 2001

This is under discussion on the radio just now, so I found it on-line to
easily share it with you.  Has anyone seen this at their newstand?  Here are
bits snipped from the website, incl. a partial list of the current issue
contents.  I'm listing only those that sound On-Topic for SCA-cooks.

- ------------

http://www.ucpress.edu/journals/gfc/

The University of California Press will publish its first issue of
Gastronomica in 2001.

Gastronomica
The Journal of Food and Culture
Darra Goldstein, Editor

University of California Press is proud to introduce Gastronomica: The
Journal of Food and Culture, beginning publication in February 2001.
Combining a keen appreciation for the pleasures and aesthetics of food with
the latest in food studies, Gastronomica is a vital forum for ideas,
discussion, and thoughtful reflection on,  the history, literature,
representation, and cutural impact of food.

In each issue you’ll find:
Provocative Analyses — the latest interdisciplinary research from noted
scholars that considers the relationship between food and culture throughout
the world

Lively Features — from news to techniques, design to reviews, poetry to
prose, Gastronomica presents a mix of articles and features by culinary
professionals, historians, architects, photographers, poets, artists, and
others

Sumptuous Images — photographs, illustrations, and art depicting the
richness and  vibrancy of food and our joy in preparing and consuming it

Bibliographic Information
ISSN: 1529-3262; 2001: Vol. 1

Volume 1, Number 1, February 2001

Articles

Gillian Riley, "Eat Your Words!" Seventeenth-Century Edible Letterform

Charles Perry,  Archive: Sicilian Cheese in Medieval Arab Recipes

Safieh Rouhi,  Origins: Polow (Iranian rice pilaf)

Alicia Rios, Watched Pot: The olla podrida

T.R. Durham, Fundamentals: Salt, Smoke, and History,

Mark Morton, Etymologies

The Culinary Institute of America, Spilled Beans: The History of the Bagel

The Bookshelf: Reviews of
Making Sense of Taste;
Food: A Culinary History; Art, Culture, & Cuisine;
The Oxford Companion to Food, and others

Jan Longone, Notes on Vintage Volumes

And as the interview with the editor on the radio ended, I beleive they gave
a different website,  www.gastronomica.org  This site has a slightly
different table of contents.  The ucpress site has an abstract of the first
article I listed, about the 17th cent letterforms (as cookies in dutch
paintings), this other has a link to an essay aout Mcdonalds.

Bonne