SC - Stuffed asparagus

Olwen the Odd olwentheodd at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 16 07:15:11 PST 2001

>All righty, question for anybody who's done home canning: Does store-bought
>canned asparagus taste icky because it wasn't good fresh asparagus in the
>first
>place, or is it because of the canning process?  I have found that if
>asparagus
>has any odor before it's cooked, it will have a bitter flavor when it's
>done.
>  So, I'm wondering if I can can fresh asparagus from my garden with better
>results
>than the store-bought stuff.  Or, should I freeze it?
>
>-Magdalena vander Brugghe
>who's so proud of her spinich and onion seedlings already :)

Asparagus just don't stand up to sitting around in liquid.  Fresh from the
garden or older.  The canned ones you buy at the store are not all that
great, but ones you do at home aren't too much better.  I tried them a
couple of times and was less than thrilled.  I have pickled them and put
them up.  I liked that a little better.  Frozen is the best option.  As I
recall, you have to blanch them for a minute before dispatching them to the
freezer.  The Joy of Cooking has the info.
Olwen, who is happy you have spinich and onions growing already