SC - Period chicken feet

Tara Sersen tsersen at nni.com
Fri Feb 16 11:16:22 PST 2001

>Generally if there is any meat matter on the residue, however, it is not
>considered a good thing to put it on your compost heap. Meat-eating
>bacteria tend to mess with the compost heap's internal flora.

The lit I've read mostly talks about what meat attracts to your pile - rodents,
and all the diseases that come with them.  However, my grandfather was never
picky about what he threw out there - he just had a big ol' pile in the middle
of the garden that he raked out every spring, and never really gave it any thought.
 I wonder if cold vs. hot composting makes much of a difference in how a pile
handles meat and dairy?

- -Magdalena vander Brugghe