SC - Stuffed asparagus (non-member submission)

Siegfried Heydrich baronsig at peganet.com
Tue Feb 20 10:40:53 PST 2001

    I really don't know where I got this; I've been preparing this dish for
about 30 years, off and on. I've done variants depending on what I had at
hand (hint - DON'T use country ham. WAY too strong. And those accursed sugar
cured buffet hams seriously suck - bland city), substituting (ecch) low
moisture Mozzarella when Fontinella wasn't at hand, adding bread crumbs,
etc. Fresh Mozzarella just disintegrates in the oven, I've found.
    TBRH, this is so simple that  really can't imagine any cook not winging
this one when facing an 'oh, crap, what am I going to do NOW?' situation.
Asparagus, olive oil, lemons and Proscuitto just hang together in the ol'
mental palate, and the Fontinella is the finishing touch. Pricey, but OH, so
good! I suspect that any nice semi soft white cheese could be substituted,
though. And you use maybe 1/6 oz per serving - you only use a sliver, it's
just a complementary flavor for accent, and adds a contrasting color for
presentation . . .
    Garnish with a Basil leaf or two, and watch 'em keel over in gustatorial
ecstasy!

    Sieggy