SC - Soup figuring?

Jenne Heise jenne at mail.browser.net
Wed Feb 21 09:12:10 PST 2001

Can someone help us a bit? We are trying to figure out budgets for a large
dayboard. There will be two soups: Hen in Broth (from Take a 1000 eggs)
and some variation on A Cooked Dish of Lentils (from the Miscellany)-- no
onion, no egg, but we were planning on using carrot instead (is that a
periodoid substitution?)

We figured on 12 gallons of Hen in Broth and 6 gallons of Lentil.
We planned on 100 lbs of chicken for the Hen in Broth. How much Broth will
we need? (We were so busy savoring the result when we tested it that we
forgot to measure the output!)

Also, assuming our Lentil soup is not a thick pottage, how many pounds of
lentils per gallon do we need? I see from the Florilegium that A Cooked
Dish of Lentils uses a 10 oz bag to make 5 1/2 cups. Can we stretch this
with water to 8 cups to make a thinner soup or does it get yucky? I
apologize for 'cheating' by asking before just trying it out-- we will try
it out soon.

Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, mka Jennifer Heise	      jenne at tulgey.browser.net
"Are you finished? If you're finished, you have to put down the spoon."