SC - Re: Pumpkins down under

Susan Laing gleep001 at hotmail.com
Thu Feb 22 16:01:52 PST 2001

Pumpkin in Comparative Cultures 101...

Okay - Australia was founded by the British in the 1770's....

Pumpkins are pretty much regarded as "dinner vegetables" here - exception
being (in Queensland at least) Pumpkin Scones (a la Lady Flo)  The notion of
using them as a sweet has always been an intriguing one (and peculiarily
*American* in my zone.... but that could be the Comic Offworld Alien in me
speaking.... :-p)

Just an aside - I thought the tradition of eating Pumpkin pie (or Squash
pie) devolved from the 1st Thanksgiving meal when the Native Americans
brought their produce to share with the Pilgrims.... Or should I give up on
comparative culture history and go back to cooking??

Mari
Brisbane, Australia

Mmmmmm Mel Gibson! Pity he's lost his accent.... :-p