SC - Progress report on Lebkuchen

Fri Feb 23 10:53:43 PST 2001

The modern Lebkuchen I've come across are all fairly soft.  Most commercial
Lebkuchen (the kind in the tin boxes) I've seen use a rice flour wafer for
the bottom of the cookie to help stiffen them and keep them intact.  The
traditional bakery fare is a 2 x 4 inch bar about 1/2 inch thick with a thin
sugar icing.

While Lebkuchen is usually translated spice cookie or spice bar, I believe
the literal translation would be "lively cake."

Bear