SC - Great Celebration in Atlantia

david friedman ddfr at best.com
Fri Feb 23 12:21:28 PST 2001

>>For a substitute for "Queen's Tea" would "Queen's Court" work? So far
>>as I know, it isn't a term actually used in period, but at least it
>>is made up of period terms used in a more or less period fashion.
>>--
>>David Friedman
>
>Your Grace.  Please may I differ with your idea of "Queens Court".
>It gives a totally different idea of what is going on.  When I hear
>"court" I am expecting one thing ~ sit down, formal, usually
>serious, etc. etc.; when I hear "tea" or "brunch" I am expecting
>something more intimate and relaxed with refreshments and chatting.

Vis and Mara in the East used to do something they called "sitting in
state" as a less formal substitute for court. The basic idea was that
they were there, and people could come talk with them, do things that
didn't require the formality of court, etc. I don't know if that
would work here.

>Olwen who is wondering how duct tape can be period without question
>but tea cannot..

Everyone knows that duct tape is out of period, and sensible people
avoid calling attention to it. But by announcing an event as a
"Queen's Tea," you are not only calling attention to it; since lots
of people think of a "tea" as "something the British used to do," you
are implying that it is period.
- --
David Friedman
Professor of Law