SC - Day Boards/rosebutter

margali margali at 99main.com
Sat Feb 24 13:29:19 PST 2001

Maybe yes, maybe no. IIRC it takes an inordinately large amount of rose
petals to make rosewater. My clans seneschal Mavis made rosewater
several years running and she managed to get about a pint of the same
concentration as the mideastern stuff I buy from 8 large bushes floral
output, call it something on the order of 300 or so roses.  Water
extraction is less efficient at getting out the oily fractions compared
to a fat extraction in many cases. Flowers are funny things - you cant
extract lilac with water or alcohol, but you can with a cold fat
extraction, and that is a royal pain in the butt to do. A long,
occasionally messy  and tedious practice. I would like to get a gentle
pink color to the butter without adding cochineal or
saunders/madder/food coloring.

- --

MarilynTraber at FictionForest.com
HTTP://WWW.FictionForest.com