SC - butter beer recipe

Cindy M. Renfrow cindy at thousandeggs.com
Sun Feb 25 04:09:30 PST 2001

Hello!

I just came across this & I remembered someone here was looking for a
Butter Beer recipe.  This is from the Good Huswifes Handmaide for the
Kitchen (undated, probably mid 1600s), ed. by Stuart Peachey, Stuart Press,
1992, p. 62.

To make Buttered Beere.
Take three pintes of Beere, put five yolkes of Egges to it, straine them
together, and set it in a pewter pot to the fyre, and put to it halfe a
pound of Sugar, one penniworth of Nutmegs beaten, one penniworth of Cloves
beaten, and a halfepenniworth of Ginger beaten, and when it is all in, take
another pewter pot and brewe them together, and set it to the fire againe,
and when it is readie to boyle, take it from the fire, and put a dish of
sweet butter into it, and brewe them together out of one pot into an other.

Regards,

Cindy Renfrow/Sincgiefu
cindy at thousandeggs.com
Recipes"