SC - Re: Egg Yolks

Philip & Susan Troy troy at asan.com
Mon Feb 26 04:17:10 PST 2001

Etain1263 at aol.com wrote:

> << LYN M PARKINSON <allilyn at juno.com> writes:
>
> Actually, I'd like to freeze whole eggs.  The shells might break, though. What if I broke open the eggs and put each one--yolk and white together--into a large ice cube tray section?  >>
>
> The eggs will definitely break if you freeze them whole (my fridge had a hissy fit and froze a whole box of eggs...what a mess!).  But i understand that you can freeze them..break the yolk a bit..and decide what you are going to use them for..and add a bit of salt for savory uses..and sugar for cookies, etc.  Perhaps the seasoning does something other than season????

Adding either sugar or salt will essentially change the specific gravity
or the density of the eggs, which may affect the rate at which they
freeze. Sugar may have something to do with tenderizing protein chains,
I dunno. Whether or not this really has any effect on the thickening
that takes place when they freeze, I don't know. Somewhere in my kitchen
I have a box of salted duck eggs whose whites seem more or less like raw
egg whites, and whose yolks are a fairly firm sort of golden jelly
consistency. They still have to be cooked, and still firm up like raw
eggs do, when cooked.

Adamantius
- --
Phil & Susan Troy