SC - list newbie/Seasonal food.

Laura C. Minnick lcm at efn.org
Tue Feb 27 17:03:42 PST 2001

Cheriti Watts wrote:

> Greetings good gentles.
>
> Having recently been convinced to join the list by 'Lainie, I have been
> dutifully trying to catch up on the reading.  (Currently, I think I'm 5 days
> behind). So much info, so little reading time.

Hey hey hey there! I mentioned I was on the list- and you jumped- I
don't remember any 'convicing' happening... ;-)

> Does anyone know any good sources for period Lenten restrictions and
> recipes? (And no, I haven't looked on the Florilegium yet.)

Dahling, I have the _Curye on Inglysche_ and _Two Fifteenth Century
Cookery Books_ here in my room in Portland, as well as several others,
and they have Lenten recipes. You are welcome to come over and take a
look if you want. ;-)

There are several reasons why you don't see much in the way of Lenten
meals at events. And I am about to make some gross generalizations here,
so don't everyone jump on me.

1. We are just too damn lazy.

2. Something in our stout lil' hearts ('specially us Americans) jumps up
and shouts at the idea of restrictions. Recite a list of Lenten
restrictions and most of us will reach for the prime rib. Just a
rebellious nature, I suppose.

3. Many SCA cooks don't know where to begin and don't want to put the
time and effort into doing the Lenten fare (yeah, yeah, most of present
compnay excepted).

4. Many of our audiences (feastgoers) wouldn't know a Lenten meal if it
bit them in the butt. Which it couldn't, not being animal products,
but...

5. Say Lent, and most people think fish. Many cooks don't know how to
cook fish well, and most Americans think they don't like fish (probably
because they haven't had it cooked well). Adds up to a resistant
populace.

I'm not saying you can't do it- I'm saying it would be difficult. I can
help you find Lenten recipes though. ;-) Let's hear it for almond milk!

'Lainie

PS- your mother sounds like a twisted individual! I like that in a
person!